Jane Birkin's Birkin Goes for Sale
The French singer and actress auctions her personal iconic bag on eBay to benefit the Japanese Red Cross.
Jane Birkin has inspired one of the most famous, coveted handbags in the world and the French singer-actress has put her very own Birkin bag up for auction on eBay April 7. With less than two days left to bid (the auction ends April 15), the price has escalated from its start at $2000 to over $14,000.
The lived-in and roughed-up black, leather bag (one of the mere four namesake totes that she owns) — which features stickers and prayer beads from Birkin’s travels on the exterior — is known as a "beater Birkin," to those in the designer consignment and resale business. "This is a bag for someone who wants it to look really used. It is a bag that has been loved and carried a lot," according to Cameron Silver, owner of Decades Boutique in London and Los Angeles, which specializes in designer vintage and resale (with an emphasis on the Hermes' handbags). He adds that if it didn’t belong to Birkin herself, a bag of this quality "should sell for about $6,000."
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR