Jane Campion Named Cannes Short Film Jury President
The New Zealand-born director will also head the Cinefondation section.
Oscar-winner Jane Campion will head up the Short Film Jury and the Cinefondation at the 66th Cannes Film Festival, the organization announced Tuesday.
“Jane is a child of Cannes. I know this, as it was I who selected her first three short films for the Festival,” said festival president Gilles Jacob in a statement. “I am delighted that the love story between Lady Jane and the Festival continues today as she takes on the role of president.”
The New Zealand-born director has strong ties with the festival, winning the short film Palme d’Or for her first film Peel in 1986 and the Palme d’Or for the feature The Piano in 1993. Two of Campion’s other films, Sweetie (1989) and Bright Star (2009), were also presented in competition.
Campion remains the only woman to win the Palme d’Or in the festival's 65-year history.
The Cinefondation forms part of the Official Selection, and the jury honors three prize-winners from among the selection of film-school entrants at an official ceremony. The Short Film jury selects the winner of the short film Palme d’Or.
Campion succeeds producer Jean-Pierre Dardenne. Directors Michel Gondry, Hou Hsiao Hsien, Martin Scorsese and John Boorman have also previously held the position.
The 66th Cannes Film Festival will be held May 16-25, and the short film Palme d’Or will be presented at the festival’s closing ceremony on May 26.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!