Japan Women's World Cup Victory Scores Big Ratings
National holiday on Monday meant many braved the 3.45 a.m. kick-off.
TOKYO – Ratings for Japan’s victory over the U.S. in Sunday night’s soccer Women’s World Cup final peaked at over 30% despite the final kicking off at 3.45 a.m. – boosted by Monday having been a national holiday.
The broadcast of the final – in which Japan won the first global soccer title by an Asian nation -- on Fuji TV scored viewing figures of 21.1%. Meanwhile, the program on public broadcaster NHK’s satellite channel, BS1, pulled in 10.1%.
According to Video Research Inc, viewing figures rose as the morning went on and more people got up to catch the game. By the time winning captain Homare Sawa was interviewed after the dramatic penalty shootout finish, viewership for Fuji TV’s broadcast had reached 27.7%.
The ratings topped those of highlight broadcasts of the men’s soccer World Cup from 2010 and matches from the World Baseball Classic in 2009 that were shown at similar times.
The unexpected triumph of the team in Germany – known as Nadeshiko Japan after a flower that is said to personify traditional Japanese femininity – has lifted spirits back home where good news has been in short supply since the March 11 disasters and ongoing nuclear crisis.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!