Japanese Cast Announced for Keanu Reeves' '47 Ronin'
The classic Japanese story has been made into more than 80 movies.
TOKYO – The four main Japanese cast members have been added to Universal’s 3D reimagining of the 47 Ronin, featuring Keanu Reeves as a half-Japanese, half-British samurai character created for this version, to be directed by Carl Rinsch.
The first English-language take on the much-filmed Japanese classic will feature Hiroyuki Sanada (The Last Samurai, Lost) as clan chief Oishi; Rinko Kikuchi (Norwegian Wood) as the mysterious Lady Mizuki; Tadanobu Asano (Mongol) as Lord Kira and Kou Shibasaki (One Missed Call) as love interest for Reeves’ character on her Hollywood debut.
The story, based on an historical event and known as Chushingura in Japan, has been brought to the screen more than 80 times, with the latest version released this January.
Principal photography is due to begin in Hungary this month before moving to the U.K.’s Shepperton Studios, with some filming in Japan also penciled in.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'