Jared Leto Posts Photo of Severed Ear Sent by Fan (PHOTO)
UPDATED: The actor and 30 Seconds to Mars frontman says he poked a hole in the body part and strung it on a necklace, but others are saying it's a prop.
A deranged fan sent Jared Leto a severed ear, which the actor and rocker now wears around his neck like jewelry.
Speaking to U.K. radio station Xfm on March 22, Leto, 41, relayed the twisted tale.
"The fans are an incredibly committed and passionate group of people. Going to a show is kind of like visiting Japan -- you expect gifts on your arrival," he said. "You get all kinds of wonderful things."
He went on: "Someone cut their ear off once and sent it to me. That was very strange. A whole ear. The Van Gogh move. The note just said, 'Are you listening?' I never knew who it was, who's missing their ear out there."
"I poked a hole in it and wore it as a necklace!" Leto added.
To prove he was telling the truth, Leto posted a photo of the ear to his Instagram account, with the caption, "Are you listening?"
Leto's band, Thirty Seconds to Mars, has announced that its fourth studio album, Love Lust Faith + Dreams, will be released on May 21 through Virgin Records.
Calls to Leto's reps for comment were not immediately answered.
UPDATE: Internet sleuths are arguing the ear in the photo is actually a prop, sold to consumers under the name Bill Oberst Jr.'s Severed Ear.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR