Jason Winer to make film debut
TV director in talks to helm Warners' 'Shining City'
Rising TV director Jason Winer is in negotiations to make his feature film debut on "Shining City," Warner Bros.' adaptation of the comedic novel by Seth Greenland.
Donald De Line is producing.
The book centers on a recently unemployed suburban milquetoast dad whose brother dies and leaves behind a dry cleaning business. He discovers that the business is a front for a prostitution ring, takes it over and starts yuppifying it -- giving the girls 401(k)s and health benefits -- and bringing on his wife to help run things. When a rival madam finds out about the burgeoning operation, she threatens to take them down.
Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel ("Hot Tub Time Machine") are writing the adaptation.
De Line Pictures president Andrew Haas is exec producing, while Sarah Schechter oversees for Warners.
Winer is an actor-turned-director who helmed the pilot for ABC's hot new comedy series "Modern Family." He is expected to direct at least half the show's episodes.
"I've been looking for a while for the right kind of grounded, character-based comedy that lends itself to be shot with a sense of style," Winer said. "(With 'Shining City'), the characters are real and you can really get invested in the people. But it can also be visually dynamic. That's what I've done in television, and that's what I want to do in features."
Winer, whose credits also include "Samantha Who?" and "Miss/Guided," also co-created, directed and starred in the "The Adventures of Big Handsome Guy and His Little Friend."
He is repped by ICM and Mosaic.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game