Jay-Z to Headline Concert Series at Brooklyn Nets Arena
UPDATED: Fresh off his performance at the iHeartRadio music festival in Las Vegas, the rap mogul makes plans to return to his hometown in 2012.
Rap superstar and part owner of the NBA’s Nets, Jay-Z, will head back to Brooklyn next fall, just in time for the opening of his team’s new arena.
PHOTOS: New York City Power List
The Barclays Center is scheduled to officially open on Sept. 28, 2012, but before the New Jersey Nets adopt their new home (and new name), Jay-Z will perform in celebration of the grand opening. Hov appeared with developer Bruce Ratner and Borough President Marty Markowitz on Monday to make an official announcement from the construction site at Flatbush and Atlantic Aves. The team’s expected name change -- to the Brooklyn Nets -- was also announced.
"This is where I'm from, I'll always be Brooklyn, and opening this arena will mean more to me than anywhere else," the rapper said, as quoted by Reuters.
Dates and prices were not announced, though he is expected to play multiple shows.
VIDEO: iHeartRadio Music Fest: Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Colplay Kick Off First Night
Following a very public VMA announcement of wife Beyonce’s pregnancy, Jay-Z appeared at the iHeartRadio music festival in Las Vegas on Friday, Sept. 23. The rapper performed a 45-minute set, including a special appearance from Alicia Keys for their song “Empire State of Mind.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR