Jeremy Lin Generates More Twitter Traffic Than Any NBA Player and Obama
During a one-week span, the New York Knicks point guard was mentioned more than 2.5 million times on social media.
Linsanity is burning up Twitter.
New York Knicks point guard sensation Jeremy Lin’s rapid ascension to fame has led to the NBA player becoming one of the hottest subjects of social media, according to a new study.
During the week of Feb. 6 through 14 (when the Knicks won six straight games), Lin generated the most Twitter volume of any NBA player, according to a study by social analytics company General Sentiment. Users mentioned Lin 2,610,684 times on social media and Twitter.
But not only is he the hottest topic within the NBA, but he’s also more talked about than the president. The study also stated that within that time period, users mentioned Lin more frequently than President Barack Obama on social media and Twitter.
Lin’s Twitter handle, @JLin7, was mentioned more times than any other NBA player’s handle. During the one-week period, Lin’s handle was mentioned 215,408 times, besting LeBron James (@KingJames) by more than 20,000 mentions.
As The Hollywood Reporter has reported, Lin’s success also has led to higher TV ratings for MSG Network. The regional cable network, owned by the Madison Square Garden Co., has seen an 87 percent jump in ratings since the Harvard grad joined the team's starting lineup.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack