Jeremy Renner Could 'Take Over' 'Mission Impossible' From Tom Cruise
"I can't predict the future and what they want, but that's certainly the idea," he says.
Jeremy Renner is being groomed to replace Tom Cruise in future Mission Impossible movies.
Renner, who co-stars in the fourth film, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, tells MTV News from the Dubai set, "It's a franchise to potentially take over. I can't predict the future and what they want, but that's certainly the idea."
Last year, The Hollywood Reporter quoted an insider saying that J.J. Abrams and Cruise were considering "hand[ing] the reigns over to a younger actor, or even to an ensemble." PHOTOS: Hollywood's new A-list.
Renner declined to say if the hand-off is written into the current film, such as when Harrison Ford tipped his hat to Shia LaBeouf in the Indiana Jones reboot.
"I can't really go into the details of the script, because that's still evolving," he said. "It's Tom's baby. He's the engine behind the thing. What happens after that, we'll see."
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, directed by Brad Bird, is due in theaters on Dec. 16, 2011. Inglourious Basterds' Lea Seydoux will play the female villain and it'll star Lost's Josh Holloway in his first major film role, The Hollywood Reporter first revealed.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game