Jermaine Jackson Files Petition to Change His Last Name
The elder brother of Michael Jackson cites “artistic reasons” for switching to Jacksun.
Jermaine Jackson wants to change his famous last name, but only by one letter.
The elder brother of Michael Jackson has filed a name change petition in Los Angeles, saying he wants be known as Jermaine Jacksun. The 57-year-old has cited “artistic reasons” for the switch.
Jackson’s friend Steve Dennis spoke on his behalf, telling the Associated Press that many artists and athletes -- including Prince, Snoop Lion and Metta World Peace -- frequently change their names.
“It is something he has chosen to do, and it’s fair to say that you cannot blame this one on the boogie, you’ve got to blame it on the sunshine,” said Dennis, referencing the Jackson 5 hit song “Blame It on the Boogie.”
Jackson and the rest of his famous family members are no strangers to headline-grabbing monikers. In 2000, Jackson named his newborn son Jermajesty, while brother Michael named his sons Prince Michael and Prince Michael II, aka Blanket.
Should Jackson commit to his proposed name change, the singer has a few months to wait. A hearing on the petition is scheduled for Feb. 22.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR