Jerry Bruckheimer Nears First-Look Deal at Paramount
The producer's deal with Disney is set to expire in 2014.
Jerry Bruckheimer may soon find a new home.
After nearly two decades at Walt Disney Studios, Bruckheimer is close to finalizing a first-look deal with Paramount, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.
A deal could be done later this week, one source says, although another insider says any deal is further off. Either way, serious talks are underway, although the exact details of a deal are unclear.
Bruckheimer and Disney announced the breakup of their partnership in September when the studio announced the producer's first-look deal would not be renewed in 2014.
The move came after the box office disappointment of The Lone Ranger, although Bruckheimer, Disney chief Alan Horn and other sources said it was more about the types of movies Bruckheimer wanted to producer.
The producer, who was behind the Pirates of the Caribbean blockbusters, wants to tackle more adult-skewing movies that Disney once made through its Touchstone label, a division that no longer exists as the studio seeks to create narrowly defined fare.
Disney’s film division also makes fewer movies as it has Marvel, DreamWorks and now Lucasfilm contributing to its slate.
Bruckheimer found success at Disney with action movies such as Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and National Treasure, and on the flip side, with movies such as Coyote Ugly and Remember the Titans.
If a deal with Paramount goes through, it will bring Bruckheimer back to the studio for which he had his early successes: Flashdance, Beverly Hills Cop and Top Gun.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack