Jerry Lewis Not Returning to MDA Telethon Despite Reports, Rep Says

 Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

Jerry Lewis won't be returning to host the annual MDA telethon after all.

On Sunday, a report in the Las Vegas Review-Journal said the comedian, who had hosted the annual muscular dystrophy fund-raiser since 1966, would be returning to the Labor Day event this year, two weeks after the announcement that he would not host this year's show.

The report sparked an Internet frenzy, with a slew of media outlets picking up on the news.

STORY: Jerry Lewis Will No Longer Host the MDA Telethon

But it turns out the story isn't true.

His spokeswoman, Candi Cazau, denied the accuracy of the Review-Journal's original story to Reuters.

"Him being reinstated as the host of the MDA telethon is not accurate," she said.

The original story, written by gossip columnist Norm Clarke, said that Lewis and been "reinstated" as host of the MDA telethon.

Clarke later tweeted a clarification: "A source told Vegas Confidential that Lewis had been 'reinstated.' The source clarified that today, saying he meant reconciled."

STORY: Jerry Lewis Hospitalized, Cancels Concert

An MDA spokeman did not return calls to Reuters.

Lewis appeared at the Nevada Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame gala Saturday night in Las Vegas but made no mention of the MDA telethon.

The 85-year-old comedian, who announced his retirement from the organization in May, had still been slated to host the 2011 telethon until the MDA made its Aug. 3 announcement. Yet the group did not give a reason for the change.

After announcing Lewis' departure, the MDA released a list of performers for the event that includes Jennifer Lopez, Celine Dion and Steven Tyler.

comments powered by Disqus