Bob Costas on Jerry Sandusky's Sex Scandal: 'There Will Be More' to Come Out of the Investigation (Video)
The NBC broadcaster returns to "Rock Center" a week after his headline-making interview with the disgraced former Penn State football coach.
Bob Costas appeared on NBC's Rock Center With Brian Williams on Monday night to talk about Jerry Sandusky's sex scandal a week after making headlines for his interview with former Penn State football coach.
In last week's phone interview, Sandusky, who has been charged with 40 counts of sexual abuse against children, insisted that he is not a pedophile.
But when pressed by Costas if he was "completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect," Sandusky replied: "Well I could say that, you know, I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their leg. Without intent of sexual contact."
He also admitted that there are some actions he regrets.
"I shouldn't have showered with those kids," he said.
On Monday night's Rock Center, Costas told Williams he expects there to be even more to come out of the story, especially now that former FBI director Louis Freeh is heading up the investigation.
"I think from the beginning, we all assumed, we have not heard the last of it with the grand jury report," Costas said. "There has to be more and little by little, and perhaps eventually in a torrent, there will be more, not just accusations but we'll learn more about what university officials, including Joe Paterno, knew, when they knew it and what they did and didn't do against what they should have done."
Costas also argued that Sandusky made it worse on himself with his interview.
"The general outline of his behavior, even what he has acknowledged to us, is so troubling that that alone should have been enough for action to have been taken," Costas said of Sandusky's comments.
He also pointed a finger at Joe Paterno, who was fired in his role as head coach two weeks ago for not reporting an incident he witnessed nine years ago involving Sandusky to the authorities.
"Giving Joe Paterno the full benefit of the doubt, that he would not have known that there was a university probe of Jerry Sandusky's behavior back in 1998?" Costas said. "Joe Paterno by all accounts knew everything that was going on in his program."
Costas' interview last week prompted strong reactions from several high-profile people, including Sarah Palin, who said Sandusky should be hung; Jon Stewart, who suggested that Sandusky was lying; and Howard Stern, who called for him to be castrated.
Meanwhile, Costas was lauded for his handling of the interview by critics and others, including Stewart and Oprah Winfrey.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!