Jessica Alba Clarifies Quote That 'Good Actors Never Use the Script'
'I was completely and totally paraphrased, and things were taken out of context and mushed together,' the actress says of comments in an Elle magazine article that irked some screenwriters.
After being quoted saying that "good actors never use the script" -- raising the ire of several screenwriters -- Jessica Alba is insisting her words were taken out of context.
The actress, who is currently promoting Little Fockers, was quoted last month by Elle magazine saying, "Good actors never use the script unless it's amazing writing. All the good actors I've worked with, they all say whatever they want to say."
Among those offended were Big Fish scribe John August, who addressed Alba's quotes on his blog.
"Following your logic, you've never been in a movie with both good actors and amazing writing," he wrote, while noting that "I have to believe she was misquoted, or excerpted in some unflattering way."
That's exactly what Alba is now saying happened, according to CinemaBlend. When asked about her comments, she responded, "That wasn't true.Just so it's clear, films don't even get made, and nothing ever gets a green light unless there's great material. That's always a No. 1 thing before you can get a director, actors or a studio even interested in anything."
As for the Elle story, Alba said, "There was an article written recently where I was completely and totally paraphrased, and things were taken out of context and mushed together. It was a four-hour interview that got condensed into a page and a half for a fashion magazine."
To emphasize her point about the importance of good writing, Alba cited her struggles at ad-libbing, starting with her first job on the late-'90s series The New Adventures of Flipper.
"Basically, I was saying that I didn't have the courage and didn't really understand how to bring my own thing to the table and I would never veer away from the script, ever, no matter what," Alba said. "Even when actors would go off book, I didn't know what to say."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera