Jim Broadbent: Meryl Streep Will Do Margaret Thatcher Justice
Actor confident his 'The Iron Lady' co-star will live up to the former Prime Minister onscreen.
In January, Jim Broadbent will begin shooting the Margaret Thatcher biopic The Iron Lady with Meryl Streep in the lead role and the British actor recently weighed in on the American Oscar winner's casting.
"Years ago a film about Thatcher was attempted, and they had a phone-in vote on a BBC morning news program: 'Who do you think should play Margaret Thatcher?' And Meryl actually came out on top!" Broadbent told New York Magazine when asked about possible resistance to an American stepping into the shoes of one of Britain's most iconic figures.
"I think it's perceived that Thatcher needs a star, really, and she's perfect casting in many ways. She's got a good look, and she'll absolutely do it in a brilliant way."
He thinks Streep will help widen the perspective of the movie, making the Thatcher story more approachable to a global audience.
"She's also got an interesting eye on the script: She can bring an outsider's view on the story, so that it won't become a lazy, parochial piece that Brits understand but where nobody else really knows what's going on. She can ask the questions that foreign audiences will ask."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game