Jim Underwood Joins Sony Pictures Home Entertainment In Digital and Commercial Strategy
The former Sony Pictures exec moves over to the Home Entertainment division.
In a sign acknowledging of the growing importance of the digital sphere in entertainment, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has appointed Jim Underwood to Executive VP, Worldwide Digital and Commercial Strategy.
According to SPHE, Underwood, whose previous role was that of Executive VP, Corporate Development at Sony Pictures, will “now be responsible for SPHE’s transactional digital business around the world and will develop and implement the studio’s integrated strategy for the home entertainment market across all channels of distribution.”
Underwood will oversee the company’s digital distribution, digital strategy and operations, commercial planning, and business affairs groups.
“With technology changing the way consumers collect and experience our products, Jim has the right background and expertise to keep SPHE at the forefront of new and emerging business models during this time of transformation in the industry,” said SPHE president David Bishop, to whom Underwood will report.
Stated Underwood: “SPHE has always embraced new technologies and worked with our partners to introduce new forms of distribution that benefit consumers and the studio – by launching new physical formats like Blu-ray and by helping drive new digital models like UltraViolet. I’m excited to build on these successes and to help SPHE continue to find innovative new ways to bring our products to customers around the world.”
Underwood has been with SPE since 2003. Before that, he held various positions in the words of corporate development, strategic consulting, and investment banking at companies such as Parametric Technologies, The Parthenon Group, and Morgan Stanley
SPHE said that John Calkins, who headed the company’s digital efforts and helped launched UltraViolet and electronic sell-through, is leaving the company.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'