Jimmy Kimmel Congratulates New Rival Jimmy Fallon on 'Tonight Show' Transition
The ABC host and avowed Leno-hater tweeted out a warm message to the man against whom he will soon be facing off every night at 11:35.
There is likely no one as excited about the Tonight Show transition news as Jimmy Fallon himself, but it stands to reason that Jimmy Kimmel is a close second.
The host of ABC's late-night entry Jimmy Kimmel Live! tweeted his well-wishes to the officially named future host of Tonight on Wednesday, writing, "congratulations to my dear, sweet @jimmyfallon - a formidable rival and an incredible lover."
Kimmel, whose show began broadcasting at 11:35 in January, has long been publicly critical of Leno, whom he has hated since the now-departing host earned the Tonight Show job over David Letterman -- Kimmel's hero -- in 1992. He also harbors resentment over Leno's flirtation with ABC, which included befriending Kimmel, before deciding to stick with NBC.
Speaking of Leno's comedy act, Kimmel told Rolling Stone in January, "As a comedian, you can't not have disdain for what he's done. He totally sold out. He was a master chef who opened a Burger King."
More recently, he told CNN that he would be happy to be the reason Leno lost his program.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott