J.J. Abrams' 'Super 8' Jumps $100 Million Mark Domestically
The film has earned $100.5 so far as it heads into its fourth weekend in theaters.
Paramount’s Super 8 officially turned into a box office monster on Thursday when crossing the $100 million mark on Thursday.
Directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg, the $55 million movie was the subject of furious debate on the eve of its opening in terms of how well it would play.
But once Super 8 began rolling in theaters, the naysayers were quelled.
On Thursday, Super 8 grossed $1.2 million, upping its domestic cume to $100.5 million. The pic now heads into its fourth weekend of play.
Super 8 has seen minimal drops, and has been playing in more theaters than when it first debuted. It’s opening location count was 3,379; in recent days, the movie has been playing in 3,424 theaters.
The retro period sci-fi pic might be about small-town America, but Super 8 is doing good business overseas, where it has earned $36 million to date for a worldwide gross of $136.5 million.
Domestically, Super 8 has done better than films including Battle: Los Angles ($83.6 million) and The Adjustment Bureau ($62.5 million).
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR