J.J. Abrams' 'Undercovers' picked up at NBC
Spy drama will be first pilot he has directed since 'Lost'
NBC has picked its first new drama series for next season: J.J. Abrams' "Undercovers."
Abrams co-wrote, produced and directed the "Undercovers" pilot, which stars British actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Boris Kodjoe as a married couple who are re-activated as CIA agents after years of retirement. "Undercovers" also marks the first pilot Abrams has directed since 2004's "Lost."
"We have tremendous confidence in this promising series and feel this is a great way to kick off our upcoming Upfront development announcements," said Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC Universal Television Entertainment. "J.J. has delivered another signature series along with our partners at Warner Bros and we couldn't be happier."
Produced by Bonanza, Bad Robot and Warner Bros., "Undercovers" was the first completed drama pilot to get turned in at NBC. Given Abrams pedigree, few doubted the show would receive a series order, though sources say the decision was made easy since the network was thrilled with the pilot.
Abrams' deal called for the network to decide on the pickup by Monday, so an early announcement was also expected.
"Having J.J. on our creative team is a great reason for celebration," said NBC primetime president Angela Bromstad. "In 'Undercovers,' J.J. and Josh have found a breakout couple that is rich in character and brimming with romance and action. We feel he's found the perfect cast."
Josh Reims ("Brothers and Sisters") also serves as a co-writer and executive producer and Bryan Burk ("Fringe," "Lost, "Alias") is an executive producer.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress