Jodie Foster: I won't 'abandon' Mel Gibson
Wants to 'help him get through this dark moment'
Jodie Foster has one again come to her "Maverick" co-star Mel Gibson's defense.
Despite the release of angry, racist voicemails Gibson allegedly left his ex Oksana Grigorieva (also the mother of his 8-month-old daughter, Lucia), Foster tells MORE magazine (via HuffingtonPost.com) that he's the "easiest, nicest person I've ever worked with... The second I met him, I said, 'I will love this man for the rest of my life.'"
Foster most recently directed and co-starred as Gibson's wife in "The Beaver," which does not have a release date.
"When you love a friend, you don't abandon them when they are struggling," Foster goes on. "Of course, Mel is an undeniably gifted actor and director, and 'The Beaver' is one of his most powerful and moving performances. But more importantly, he is and has been a true and loyal friend. I hope I can help him get through this dark moment."
On Tuesday, new emails between Gibson and Grigorieva surfaced. The two are cordial and supportive in the notes, which allegedly were exchanged two months after a January blowout fight that resulted in a photo being released of Grigorieva without her two front teeth. But law enforcement sources told The Hollywood Reporter earlier this month that officials doubt about the photo's authenticity.
In 2006, Foster stood up for Gibson after a police officer accused him of making anti-Semitic remarks while being arrested for driving under the influence.
"Mel is honest, loyal, kind, but alcoholism has been a lifelong struggle for him and his family," she said at the time. "I just wish I had been there, that I had been able to say, 'Don't do it, don't take that drink.'"
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay