Joel Edgerton to Play Tom Buchanan in 'The Great Gatsby'
THR reported last weekend that Baz Luhrmann was zeroing in on Edgerton and actor Luke Evans, both of whom took part in readings with the director.
UPDATE: Australian actor Joel Edgerton has nabbed the role of Tom Buchanan in Baz Luhrmann’s all-star adaptation of The Great Gatsby, being made in 3D by Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow.
THR reported last weekend that Luhrmann was zeroing in on Edgerton and actor Luke Evans, both of whom took part in readings with the director. Edgerton ultimately won the role.
Buchanan is one of the key characters in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s story of love and discontentment among the rich in lavish 1920s Long Island, N.Y.
Leonardo DiCaprio is attached to play the wealthy and mysterious Jay Gatsby, while Tobey Maguire is playing Nick Carraway, who in the novel is the narrator. Carey Mulligan is playing Gatsby’s love, Daisy Buchanan, who is married to Tom Buchanan, a wealthy man having an affair with a mistress (played by Isla Fisher) in the city.
That movie is eyeing a September start, while Gatsby is heading for a start in August.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR