'Real World: Hollywood' Star Joey Kovar Found Dead at 29
The reality star had famously battled addictions while filming, leaving the show at one point to enter rehab.
Real World: Hollywood star Joey Kovar has died at 29 years old, MTV confirms.
The former reality star and aspiring actor was found dead at a friend's house in his native Chicago on Friday, Aug. 17. According to a report from TMZ, the death is believed to be drug related.
"MTV is deeply saddened to learn that Joey Kovar of 'The Real World: Hollywood' has passed away," the network said. "We offer our sympathies to Joey's loved ones, family and friends."
Kovar publicly battled addictions during his time on the reality program in 2008. At one point, he exited the house to enter rehab and while he did return to filming, he ultimately left the show to avoid a potential relapse. He went on to appear on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew in 2009, but relapsed shortly after with ecstasy and cocaine.
Kovar's family, speaking with the Chicago Tribune, said that they are in shock.
"Everything was going very well," said David Kovar, Joey's brother. "The very, very last thing that our family is suspecting is drugs."
An autopsy for Kovar is expected to take place on Saturday. Police said that no foul play was suspected.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother