Legendary Filmmaker John Ford to Be Honored With Annual Irish Shindig
Clint Eastwood gets inaugural John Ford Ireland Award.
LONDON – Iconic director John Ford and his life and work is to be celebrated with an annual shindig being set up by the Irish Film And Television Academy, the John Ford Estate and the Irish government.
The inaugural event, pencilled in by IFTA for June next year in Dublin named John Ford Ireland, will mark the first John Ford Award, arleady dished out to Clint Eastwood, at a ceremony in the Irish capital.
Eastwood accepted the honor from Michael Collins, Ireland's ambassador to the U.S., and IFTA chief Aine Moriarty, at a reception in Burbank on Dec. 6 attended by members of Ford's family.
The planned symposium in the Emerald Isle will include a competitive component, a retrospective of Ford's films, a spotlight on Eastwood's work and screenings, exhibitions, discussions, master classes, lectures and public interviews, organizers said.
In 2013, John Ford Ireland plans to introduce a scholarship with eight first-time filmmakers from around the world selected to take part in the Ford Film School.
Ford, an Irish-American whose parents were raised on the west coast of Ireland, was a cinema pioneer who made 136 films in his nearly 60-year career.
Famous Ford outings include The Grapes of Wrath, How Green was my Valley, Stagecoach and The Searchers.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty