John Malone's Liberty Global Names Dana Strong COO of Virgin Media
The cable industry veteran has worked at UPC Ireland and will move to the U.K. cable giant, whose acquisition Liberty Global is expected to close in the coming days.
LONDON -- John Malone's Liberty Global continues to reshuffle its management team ahead of the $23.3 billion acquisition of U.K. cable giant Virgin Media. On Tuesday, the company said cable industry veteran Dana Strong will take on the role of COO of Virgin Media as of July.
Liberty Global is expected to close the Virgin Media deal in the coming days, following a Virgin Media shareholder meeting in New York Tuesday morning.
Strong, currently managing director of Irish cable company UPC Ireland -- also part of the Liberty Global family -- will succeed Andrew Barron, who will pursue new opportunities after the deal closes. Strong will also become chairman of UPC Ireland. Before joining UPC Ireland, she served as COO of Austar United Communications in Australia for Liberty Global.
At Virgin Media, she will report to incoming CEO Tom Mockridge, a News Corp. veteran, who will take on his role as of the deal's close.
"Dana has over 20 years of experience in the media industry and has been an integral member of the Liberty Global family for 14 years," said Mike Fries, president and CEO of Liberty Global. "She has a proven track record of delivering profitable growth and customer service excellence to the operations she’s led in Australia and Ireland.”
“I’m thrilled that Dana has decided to join me and the rest of our world-class management team," said Mockridge. "Her broad operating background and experience leading one of Liberty’s fastest-growing countries will serve her well at Virgin Media as we look to accelerate the company’s growth agenda.”
“This is a very exciting time for our company," said Strong. "I look forward to contributing to the growth and development of Virgin Media’s business."
Strong's managing director post at UPC Ireland will be filled by Magnus Ternsjo. Since 2009, he has served as managing director of Liberty Global’s Central European satellite TV business, which focuses on Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack