John Mayer Cancels Tour Due to Vocal Cord Granuloma
The singer's throat problems have resurfaced.
John Mayer's comeback has hit a major roadblock.
The Grammy winner, who was diagnosed with a granuloma on his vocal cord last fall and was forced to cancel tour dates and push back his new album, wrote on his blog Friday that he is once again suffering from the affliction. While he will still release the album, Born and Raised, on May 22, he will be taking an indefinite leave from live performing. His tour was supposed to begin on April 9.
During rehearsal on Tuesday, it came to mind that I should see my throat doctor because something didn’t feel/sound right," he wrote. "I went in for a visit on Wednesday and a scope of my vocal cords revealed that the granuloma has grown back where it had mostly healed. This is bad news."
Mayer went on to explain the condition, writing a "granuloma forms and continues to snowball because it’s in a spot where the vocal cords hit together and there’s no way to really give it a chance to heal without a good stretch of time and some pretty intensive treatment. In short, it’s one giant pain in the ass."
He continued, saying he will soon begin writing another album instead of touring, but anticipates surgery and more rest on the horizon. That, he says, is a difficult thing to face.
"I’m pretty emotionally burnt out at the moment, but please know how hard I tried to resolve this and how disappointed I am that I can’t perform this record yet," Mayer wrote. "I’m completely bummed, especially for all of you who started making plans to see a show. Nothing feels worse than having to break the stage down before the performance, and I mean nothing. I love this band you were going to hear, I love the guys and girls I work with, and the only thing that stops me from devolving into a puddle of tears is knowing that it’s a long life, and the greatest gift in the world is being able to create music no matter what the circumstances."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'