John Mayer Felt 'Humiliated' by Taylor Swift Song
“How would you feel if, at the lowest you've ever been, someone kicked you even lower?" the singer says about 2010’s “Dear John," which is believed to be about his romance with the country star.
In 2010, John Mayer pulled no punches during controversial interviews in which he spoke about ex-girlfriends Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson. But the singer now admits he knows how it feels to be slammed by an ex: “terrible.”
After the singer’s relationship with Taylor Swift ended, she released the 2010 song “Dear John,” which is thought to be about their romance.
"It made me feel terrible," Mayer told Rolling Stone in an interview to be published Friday. “Because I didn't deserve it. I'm pretty good at taking accountability now, and I never did anything to deserve that. It was a really lousy thing for her to do."
In the song, Swift sings: "Dear John, I see it all, now it was wrong / Don't you think 19 is too young to be played by your dark twisted games, when I loved you so?" At the time, she hinted that people would be able to tell whom the song was about.
Mayer called it “cheap songwriting” and an abuse of Swift’s talent. The song came at a self-admitted low point for Mayer, after he received backlash for a pair of interviews in which he made racially insensitive and sexually explicit comments.
"I was really caught off-guard, and it really humiliated me at a time when I'd already been dressed down,” Mayer said. “I mean, how would you feel if, at the lowest you've ever been, someone kicked you even lower?"
For his part, Mayer recently atoned for those statements he made about Simpson and Aniston, describing those interviews as “free associating garbage.” His album Born and Raised, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart lat month.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting