Anti-Virus Pioneer John McAfee Arrested in Guatemala (Report)
The 67-year-old led police in Belize on a three-week cat-and-mouse game after the murder of his neighbor.
Anti-virus pioneer John McAfee has been arrested by Guatemalan police, according to Reuters.
The 67-year-old businessman had emerged in the country Tuesday after eluding police in Belize for three weeks. He was wanted for questioning in the murder of his neighbor there. He spoke to reporters Tuesday to repeat fears that police in Belize would murder him if he were taken into custody, and he said he was in Guatemala to seek asylum.
The Guatemalan interior minister Mauricio Lopez Bonilla told Reuters on Wednesday that McAfee was arrested for illegally entering the country. The outlet also reported McAfee had no international arrest warrant out for him.
McAfee, who moved to Belize in 2008, fled his compound in the country after his neighbor was found shot to death. The neighbor, 52-year-old Florida builder Gregory Faull, was discovered Nov. 10 in a pool of blood with a gunshot wound to the back of his head. He and McAfee had clashed, and McAfee was wanted by police for questioning. He was not a suspect, but McAfee chose to flee, citing his belief the police had it out for him, as they had raided his compound months earlier because they believed he was manufacturing drugs.
What ensued was a three-week cat-and-mouse game, which included McAfee giving interviews to American news organizations and posting about his adventures on the lam on a personal blog. He claimed to have dressed up as a disabled man and disguised himself by dying his hair seven times during this time.
Before McAfee’s arrest, the prime minister of Belize had offered to escort him on a visit to police.
McAfee founded McAfee Associates in 1989 and left the company in 1992. It was sold for nearly $7.7 billion to Intel in 2010.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera