Anti-Virus Pioneer John McAfee Arrested in Guatemala (Report)
The 67-year-old led police in Belize on a three-week cat-and-mouse game after the murder of his neighbor.
Anti-virus pioneer John McAfee has been arrested by Guatemalan police, according to Reuters.
The 67-year-old businessman had emerged in the country Tuesday after eluding police in Belize for three weeks. He was wanted for questioning in the murder of his neighbor there. He spoke to reporters Tuesday to repeat fears that police in Belize would murder him if he were taken into custody, and he said he was in Guatemala to seek asylum.
The Guatemalan interior minister Mauricio Lopez Bonilla told Reuters on Wednesday that McAfee was arrested for illegally entering the country. The outlet also reported McAfee had no international arrest warrant out for him.
McAfee, who moved to Belize in 2008, fled his compound in the country after his neighbor was found shot to death. The neighbor, 52-year-old Florida builder Gregory Faull, was discovered Nov. 10 in a pool of blood with a gunshot wound to the back of his head. He and McAfee had clashed, and McAfee was wanted by police for questioning. He was not a suspect, but McAfee chose to flee, citing his belief the police had it out for him, as they had raided his compound months earlier because they believed he was manufacturing drugs.
What ensued was a three-week cat-and-mouse game, which included McAfee giving interviews to American news organizations and posting about his adventures on the lam on a personal blog. He claimed to have dressed up as a disabled man and disguised himself by dying his hair seven times during this time.
Before McAfee’s arrest, the prime minister of Belize had offered to escort him on a visit to police.
McAfee founded McAfee Associates in 1989 and left the company in 1992. It was sold for nearly $7.7 billion to Intel in 2010.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical