Johnny Lewis Death: 5 New Developments
More details are emerging about the the death of 28-year-old Johnny Lewis.
Lewis, who appeared in 26 episodes of FX’s Sons of Anarchy, was found dead in the driveway of a home, which contained the body of his battered landlady. Lewis has been implicated in her death, and investigators believe he fell from the roof of the home while under the influence of drugs.
Below are five revelations since the news broke.
1. Police believe Lewis beat and dismembered his 81-year-old landlady’s cat before killing her, TMZ reports. He is said to have killed the cat without weapons, using only his hands.
2. Lewis had a history of arrests for violent crimes. Official records obtained by TMZ revealed the actor was arrested Jan. 3 for a felony assault with a deadly weapon. He was ordered to rehab for the offense for "treatment of mental health and/or drugs and alcohol."
3. The actor’s legal troubles did not end there. He was taken into custody Feb. 10 for allegedly striking a man outside a yogurt shop, and arrested again Feb. 18 for attempting to break into a home. Lewis received 303 days in jail for those crimes.
4. The actor was released from jail Sept. 21—just five days prior to his death.
5. According to multiple reports, those who worked with Lewis on Sons of Anarchy knew he had been dealing with personal problems. While those reports quote unnamed sources, series creator Kurt Sutter addressed the issue publicly Thursday, tweeting: “wish i could say that i was shocked by the events last night, but i was not. i am deeply sorry that an innocent life had to be thrown into his destructive path.”