Johnny Weir Named L.A. Gay Pride Grand Marshal (Exclusive)
The reality star will oversee the annual parade set for June 12 in West Hollywood.
Pop Star on Ice and Skating With the Stars judge Johnny Weir has been named grand marshal of the 2011 L.A. Gay Pride Parade.
The openly gay three-time U.S. figure skating champion and star of Be Good Johnny Weir has been an advocate for gay rights and will oversee the June 12 parade as it travels along Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood, Calif.
"Johnny lives a life with a defined purpose, is dedicated to helping young people and is not afraid to be himself, sometimes not always an easy thing for a world-class athlete,” said Christopher Street West board president Rodney Scott.
Said Weir: “I’m not ashamed to be me. More than anyone else I know, I love my life and accept myself. What’s wrong with being unique? I am proud of everything that I am and will become,” the two-time Olympian said.
The 41st annual Los Angeles Pride Parade draws more than 400,000 people to West Hollywood for a weekend of events celebrating gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender visibility. It is organized by Christopher Street West, the group that produced the first LGBT Pride Parade.
Previous grand marshals have included Sharon and Kelly Osbourne, Chelsea Handler, Cyndi Lauper and Kathy Griffin.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR