Jon Hamm to Host ESPYs Award Show
The "Mad Men" star will emcee the ESPN event July 17.
Jon Hamm will don his comedic persona to host ESPN's sports awards show, the ESPYs, in July, the network said Wednesday.
The Mad Men star remarked on the news with a quip about his "marginally successful" tenure as a high school athlete.
"I’m very excited to be hosting the ESPYs. As a longtime sports fan and a marginally successful high school athlete, I feel my skill-set jibes well with a host’s duties," said Hamm in a news release. "I now have to figure out what cleats to wear with a tuxedo."
In addition to starring in season six of the acclaimed AMC drama, Hamm is attached to star in the upcoming sports drama Million Dollar Arm.
His comedic credits include 30 Rock, Bridesmaids and Saturday Night Live.
The ESPYs, which honor the year's sports milestones, will be held July 17 at the Nokia Theatre at L.A. Live.
In 2012, comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Rob Riggle hosted the proceedings; Saturday Night Live alum Seth Meyers emceed the event the year before.
"The combination of Jon’s dry wit with his passion for sports will give fans a unique and original view of the year in sports," said ESPYs executive producer Maura Mandt in the release.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack