Jon Spencer Blues Explosion Cover 'Black Betty' For VW Super Bowl Ad
Indie rock darlings from the 90s update a 70s classic.
In addition to the much buzzed about Darth Vader ad that Volkswagen rolls out for Super Bowl XLV, the company presents another audio-visual spectacle to the tune of the 1977 hit "Black Betty" by Ram Jam.
Nineties blues rockers and indie darlings Jon Spencer Blues Explosion cover the song, while the ad delves deep into the microscopic world of Insectopia, where CGI bugs go about their daily lives through a jungly maze of obstacles. Naturally, a 2012 black Beetle is the star of this campaign.
Says Bank Robber Music's Lyle Hysen, who was contacted by Deutsch about the ad: "If one band is going to do this song and get it right for the 21st century, it's going to be The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion."
Immediately following the Super Bowl, Volkswagen will execute a digital and social media campaign, including an ESPN mobile takeover, VW.com blog, Facebook activations, and a YouTube homepage containing a series of webisodes called “Inside the VW Academy.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR