Jon Stewart: Eddie Murphy 'Will Kill It' as Oscar Host
"He's a movie star, but he's a great comic – sort of similar to Billy Crystal in his 'multi-ability,'" says the 2006 host.
2006 Oscar host Jon Stewart doesn't have any advice for Eddie Murphy, who will emcee the 2012 show.
"Listen, the last person I would give advice to is Eddie Murphy. He's gonna f--king kill it," Stewart tells Rolling Stone. "He's the type of guy they haven't had in a while. He's a movie star, but he's a great comic – sort of similar to Billy Crystal in his 'multi-ability.'"
Stewart says his dry comedy sense is different than Murphy's more showbiz background.
"With guys like me, you get the sense that at some level, deep down inside, we think it's f--king ridiculous. Now that can make for a very entertaining show. But it's good to mix it up," he says.
Stewart reflects on the Academy Awards.
"The biggest problem of the show is the show," he tells Rolling Stone. "My favorite thing was when we showed one of their montages about all of these incredibly socially powerful films, and how Hollywood was a leader in the civil rights movement. I came back after the montage ended and said, 'And racism was never a problem again.' You just felt the whole room go, 'Hey motherf--ker, Who do you think you are?"
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack