Jon Stewart Skewers TLC, Lowe's Over 'American Muslim' Boycott
"Who gives a jihadi terrorist cell a show?" joked the "Daily Show" host.
Jon Stewart is taking Lowe's to task for pulling ads from TLC's All-American American Muslim in a boycott of the reality show. But he's not letting the network off the hook, either.
On Tuesday night's Daily Show, Stewart lampooned the controversy alongside "senior Muslim correspondent" Aasif Mandvi, joking: "Who gives a jihadi terrorist cell a show? ... This 'All-American Muslim' show must be about jihadi progranda!" The Comedy Central host then aired footage from the show of a husband and wife discussing having a child, to which Stewart responded: "Seriously, that wouldn't have been interesting to hear even if that guy was building a bomb as he was talking! That is the most boring reality show imaginable."
(He also took a jab at the network's slate of reality programming including the former hit Jon & Kate Plus Eight and popular series Toddlers & Tiaras. He showed a clip of the latter wherein a pageant mom tells her young daughter: "You're not a stripper but shake your butt a little bit." The girl's perfectly timed response: "Why would you even say that?")
The Florida Family Assocation's call for a ban of the new program led Lowe's and travel website Kayak to drop sponsorship; the activist group claims American Muslim is dangerous because it depicts its subjects as average citizens versus radical fundamendalists. Taking on the organization's philosophy, Stewart continued: "This show is harmful education-wise to your belief structure? Is that not the purpose of education vis-a-vis relief structures, to replace your belief structures with facts?"
Mandvi, shown reporting live in front of a Lowe's, demanded the home improvement chain be "shut down entirely." He cracked: "Without the store Lowe's, the jihadist goal is unachievable."
Check out the video below:
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'