Jonas Brothers Cancel Tour Citing 'Deep Rift' Among Bandmembers
UPDATED: The trio is at an "existential" crisis, says a source close to the band, and unable to come to an agreement about the direction of their music.
The Jonas Brothers are not exactly working in harmony.
The trio canceled 19 tour dates just two days before the tour was set to kick off, a rep for the band confirms to The Hollywood Reporter, citing a "deep, creative rift."
The brothers -- Nick, 21, Joe, 24, and Kevin, 25 -- who released four albums as a band since 2006, are reportedly divided on the future musical direction of JoBros.
The multiplatinum group, once a teen tour de force with its own TV shows, movies, a concert documentary and multiple tours, has fallen off the radar in recent years. At the same time, member Kevin Jonas has been enjoying a second career in reality television as the star of E!'s Married to Jonas, along with his wife, Dani, who is currently pregnant.
The decision to call off a major tour -- albeit of smaller venues -- doesn't come lightly. A source close to the band tells THR that the guys recently sat down in Los Angeles to discuss release plans of their long anticipated fifth album when disagreements became painfully apparent. "Once they realized they couldn't agree on music, it became a question of, 'Why would we go out on tour right now?' Their thought process was to get everything straight in terms of the creative. It was not a small thing [to call off the tour]."
The source adds that the cancelation "doesn't have anything to do with [Dani's] pregnancy" and it won't play out on the E! show, either. "Kevin isn't filming right now. They made a choice to skip this season." That call, however, did have to do, at least in part, with the band's ongoing struggles.
Earlier this year, the band released two new songs titled "Pom Poms" and "First Time." They were expected to release a new album this fall, but now the future of the group "remains to be seen," said their rep.
So what happens next? Ticket holders for the previously announced tour, which was scheduled to begin Friday, Oct. 11, will be refunded for their purchase. Hit songwriter and artist Bonnie McKee, who was scheduled to open on the tour, has already tweeted to her fans, writing, "sad 2 say my tour w @jonasbrothers has been canceled!"
As for the guys, "They'll sit and hash it out," adds the source. "This is more of an existential question for them: What will the music sound like? What's the right look?" What is the very essence of Jonas Brothers?
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)