Jonathan Ross Says Phone Was Hacked, But Not By News of the World
LONDON -- Chat show host Jonathan Ross has told the BBC Wednesday his mobile phone and those of his wife, writer Jane Goldman, and their friends may have been intercepted in the phone-hacking scandal.
Ross told BBC radio that he didn't think the actions had been by the News of The World, but that he believed another undisclosed newspaper may have used the intercepted calls.
"I know I had my phone hacked, the police contacted us and told us that my number, my wife's number was on the list of one of the guys' information," Ross disclosed.
His agent and other friends were also told their details appeared in the files on a newspaper employee who us being investigated for illegal phone-message interception.
"I think there might have been some stuff from that [phone hacking] but in other newspapers than in the News of the World," said Ross. "I don't think the News of the World did. I think other newspapers did."
Ross, interviewed on BBC Radio 5 Live as part of the promotion for his new ITV1 show, told entertainment host Richard Bacon that he could not sue because had no direct proof that another paper had used the information, but that the episode had been very distressing.
"It's a horrible feeling," said Ross. "Were they listening? Were they playing back messages?"
Ross is the latest of dozens of people to have been told that their phone messages may have been illegally intercepted by newspaper reporters. Twelve former staff at the News of The World have already been arrested as paprt of a wide-ranging police investigation into the extent of hacking at News International.
Ross, one of the UK's highest paid entertainers when he presented a number of TV and radio programs for the BBC, was forced to quit the pubcaster two years ago. He and Russell Brand had recorded and broadcasted lewd messages on the phone-message service of veteran actor Andrew Sachs, former star of Fawlty Towers, about Brand's one-time relationship with his granddaughter.