FBI to Interview Jude Law About Phone Hacking on U.S. Soil
LONDON – The FBI plans to contact the actor Jude Law following claims his cellphone was hacked during a visit to the U.S.
Law, who is taking legal action against the British tabloid The Sun and its recently shuttered Sunday sister title The News of The World, is alleging in the lawsuit that his cell was hacking while he was in New York.
The lawsuit claims that a 2003 story by The News of the World was based on information from Law's voicemail.
Murdoch's News Corp., owners of News International, could face charges in the U.S. if the allegations are true.
The media on both sides of the pond, including the BBC, leapt on the latest development in the ongoing phone-hacking scandal engulfing News Corp. coming at the end of a week that has seen News Corp. chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch and son and deputy COO James Murdoch face a Parliamentary grilling into the paper’s alleged phone-hacking practices.
The FBI is already investigating claims the Sunday tabloid tried to hack the phones of victims of the 9/11 attacks, according to reports.
It was alleged in a lawsuit filed by Law last week that his phone and that of his personal assistant, Ben Jackson, had been hacked by the News of the World while the pair were at New York's John F Kennedy Airport.
An article in the News of the World published on published September 7 2003 gave a detailed account of the actor's communications with his assistant.
Law's phone would have been using an American mobile network if used in the U.S., a definite no-no in the U.S.
In his legal action against The Sun, Law’s legal team claims the newspaper hacked his voicemail for four articles published in 2005 and 2006.
News International, the U.K. newspaper arm of News Corp, said last week those claims would be "defended vigorously".
"We believe this is a deeply cynical and deliberately mischievous attempt to draw the Sun into the phone-hacking issue," News International said in a statement last week.