Judge: 'Innocence of Muslims' Filmmaker Poses 'Danger to Community'
UPDATE: Citing a "lengthy pattern of deception," the court finds "a lack of trust in the defendant at this time" and jails Nakoula Basseley Nakoula.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, the 55-year-old filmmaker who sparked violence worldwide after releasing portions of his anti-Islamic film Innocence of Muslims online, has been jailed for violating terms of his parole, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Nakoula, who was credited as Sam Bacile in the production notes, appeared in Los Angeles federal court Thursday afternoon, where Judge Suzanne H. Segal cited a "lengthy pattern of deception," which included lying to parole officials.
"The court has a lack of trust in the defendant at this time," Segal said, adding that Nakoula posed "some danger to the community."
Earlier in the day, Reuters reported that the arrest was confirmed by a court spokesman, who said Nokoula would later face a bail hearing with regard to an ongoing investigation into whether he violated the terms of his 2011 release from prison on a bank fraud conviction.
The parole terms barred Nakoula from "accessing the Internet or using aliases without the permission of a probation officer," according to Reuters.
An Egypt-born California resident with a long and colorful criminal history, Nakoula been identified as the man who masterminded Innocence of Muslims -- a virulently anti-Islamic film blamed for sparking deadly violence in the Middle East, North Africa and other regions around the globe.
At least 13 separate aliases have been associated with Nakoula's various illicit activities, Wired notes, including Ahmed Hamdy, Daniel K. Caresman, Kritbag Difrat and P.J. Tobacco.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress