Judy Garland’s 'Wizard of Oz' Dress Fetches $480,000 at Auction
Other items sold included John Belushi's "Blues Brothers" sunglasses and a skirt worn by Marilyn Monroe during the filming of "River of No Return."
The amount of $480,000 is a pretty penny to pay for a secondhand dress worn by a Kansas farm girl, but this one is pretty special.
The famed blue gingham dress worn by Judy Garland’s Dorthy Gale in The Wizard of Oz fetched that price during a two-day event at Julien’s Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery that featured bids coming in by phone from throughout the world.
Garland’s dress wasn’t the only iconic costume sold. The dress Julie Andrews wore in The Sound of Music brought $38,400, and a purple skirt worn by Marilyn Monroe during the Canadian filming of River of No Return sold for $50,000. Other Hollywood memorabilia auctioned included Steve McQueen’s racing jacket, which went for $50,000, and John Belushi's sunglasses from The Blues Brothers, which brought in $16,640.
The Wizard of Oz key book, continuity and publicity images were sold for $33,750, while glasses worn by Johnny Depp in Dark Shadows brought in $3,250.
Another version of Garland’s Oz dress, which was blue and cotton, fetched $910,000 in June 2011 at the Profiles in History auction in Calabasas, Calif. The actress wore that dress during the first two weeks of filming on the 1939 classic.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Arsenio Hall 'Proves' David Letterman Wanted Him As A Replacement (VIDEO)
- Conan Calls Out '60 Minutes' For Even More Questionable Dubbing
- A Conversation with Bertrand Tavernier: On Politics, His Favorite Star, Early Influences, and His New Film
- Spotify's '90s Smash Hits! Playlist Is The Best Thing Since TRL
- James Franco Is the Happiest Guy Opening His 'New Film Stills' Art Exhibition at Pace Gallery!
- Tom Hiddleson 'Very Much' Wants to Play a Normal Character Who Wears Jeans!
- Cher Rocks Heart Shaped Nipple Pasties, Displays Fabulous Figure at 67!
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers Has Some Time Before Filming 'Secret Scripture'