Judy McGrath Recruits Former MTV Exec for New Sony Venture (Exclusive)
As McGrath's first hire at Astronauts Wanted: No Experience Necessary, Nick Shore will be focused on developing and creating content aimed at millennials.
Mere weeks after announcing her new venture, Judy McGrath has made her first big hire.
The former MTV Networks CEO has tapped Nick Shore, her former senior vp strategic insights and research at MTV, as the chief creative strategist for her new joint venture with Sony Music, Astronauts Wanted: No Experience Necessary.
In his new role, Shore will be focused on guiding the development of entertainment and marketing content targeted at both the millennial generation, for which he and McGrath are very familiar, and their successors, Generation Z. He also will play a broad role across Sony Entertainment, where he’ll be expected to advise the company on a suite of young adult initiatives.
"Nick’s deep knowledge about what drives young people today will inform and guide where I take this new venture,” noted McGrath in a statement announcing the news Wednesday. “He will play a key role in content development, marketing, analytics and revenue as we navigate avenues for storytelling across all the platforms young adults find exciting and essential. We will look to millennial creators for invention and brand-building, and we take the ‘no experience necessary’ mission as a powerful creative mandate.”
In Shore’s previous role as part of MTV’s senior management team, he oversaw all aspects of MTV’s strategic insights and research efforts across MTV, MTV2 and mtv.com. Prior to that, the industry veteran co-founded a consultancy that worked on behalf of global brands, including Johnson & Johnson, Pepsi, McDonald’s and Unilever.
For her part, McGrath, whose 30-year career dates back to the flagship network’s inception, left MTV in May 2011. During her tenure there, she was responsible for guiding the younger-skewing channel as it evolved from a hub for music videos to a destination for reality TV.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother