Julianne Hough: Why Prepping for 'Burlesque' Was Harder Than 'Dancing With the Stars'
Singer-dancer stars opposite Christina Aguilera and Cher in the movie musical, which marks her feature film debut.
Julianne Hough, a two-time Dancing With the Stars champ who makes her film debut in Burlesque, says preparing for her role in the movie musical wasn't as easy as some might think.
The professional dancer said the training schedule for the film, which opened Wednesday, was a lot more grueling than for ABC's reality competition.
"On Dancing with the Stars, you learn the dance, you dance the dance on TV, and then you're done," she told Reuters. "Burlesque was months of preparation, and each number was shot over and over again, over 16-hour days."
Burlesque stars Christina Aguilera as a small-town girl who moves to Hollywood and becomes famous working in a nightclub owned by Cher. Hough plays one of the club's dancers. [Read THR's review of the movie here.]
Hough, who is working on her second country music album, also sings in the movie. One number actually left her in pain afterward.
"When I sang 'Diamonds Are a Girls' Best Friend,' sliding down those beads was probably the coolest thing I've ever done," Hough said. "And the most painful. I had welts on my sides, my legs, my arms and my neck for weeks."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama