Julianne Moore, Zach Galifianakis to Star in Drama 'Freeheld' (Exclusive)
The pair join Ellen Page in the Peter Sollett-helmed film based on the 2007 Oscar-winning documentary short of the same name.
Julianne Moore is attached to star opposite Ellen Page in the indie drama Freeheld, and Zach Galifianakis is poised to tackle a supporting role in the indie drama.
Based on the 2007 Academy Award-winning documentary short of the same name, the film chronicles the true story of the late Laurel Hester (Moore), a New Jersey police detective whose world was shattered when she became terminally ill and government officials prevented her from assigning her pension benefits to her domestic partner, Stacie Andree (Page).
Laurel's conservative detective partner Dane Wells was shocked when he learned of her sexual orientation, but he became the leader in the fight for the same-sex couple's rights. That role has yet to be cast.
Galifianakis is onboard to play Garden State Equality activist Steven Goldstein.
Peter Sollett (Raising Victor Vargas, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist) will direct from a screenplay by Ron Nyswaner (Philadelphia, The Painted Veil). The filmmakers are eyeing a summer start date.
Stacey Sher and Michael Shamberg are producing alongside Kelly Bush Novak of Vie Entertainment, Jim Stern of Endgame Entertainment, Jack Selby of Incognito Pictures and Cynthia Wade, who directed the 2007 documentary short.
Moore, who can next be seen opposite Liam Neeson in the action film Non-Stop and David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars, is currently filming The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 2. She is about to begin production on a big-screen adaptation of Lisa Genova's novel Still Alice. The actress also is attached to star opposite Greta Gerwig in the Rebecca Miller-helmed Maggie's Plan.
The Hangover's Galifianakis has two films in the can: Muppets Most Wanted and the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu comedy Birdman. He also is working on an FX pilot that he created and will star in that is being co-written by Louis C.K.
Moore and Galifianakis are repped by CAA. Moore is additionally handled by Management 360's Evelyn O'Neill. Galifianakis also is handled by Brillstein Entertainment and attorney Jared Levine. Sollett is repped by CAA, Oasis and Morris Yorn.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!