'Purge' and 'Naked Harbour' Lead Finnish Jussi Award Nominees
Rising star Laura Birn receives Jussi nominations in both best actress and best supporting actress categories.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Antti Jokinen's gripping drama Purge and Aku Louhimies' ensemble piece Naked Harbour lead the pack for this year's Jussi Awards, Finland's answer to the Oscars. The two films scooped eight nominations apiece, including ones for best film and best director.
Both films also feature rising star Laura Birn, who received a rare Jussi double with nominations in the best actress and best supporting actress categories for her starring role in Purge and supporting performance in Naked Harbour, respectively.
Birn is one of 10 up-and-coming European actors picked for this year's Shooting Star event at the Berlin International Film Festival. In the best actress race, Birn is up against another double nominee: Pamela Tola, who received two best actress noms, for her roles in Once Upon a Time in the North and Must Have Been Love.
The three other contenders for the best film honor are Almost 18 from director Maarit Lalli, the children's animated feature Niko 2 and the Matti Kinnunen-helmed drama Miss Blue Jeans. All three titles received nominations in multiple categories.
The winners of this year's Jussi Awards will be announced at a ceremony in Helsinki Feb. 3.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR