Justin Timberlake Came 'So Close' to Appearing on Drake's 'Take Care'
The rapper says that Timberlake is “not in the music mindset right now,” but that the two have plans to collaborate in the future.
Rick Ross. Rihanna. Lil Wayne. Stevie Wonder! It's a crowded guest list on Take Care, Drake’s sophomore album released Nov. 15, but in an exclusive interview in early October, the rapper told Billboard that there was one guest appearance that he wasn't able to make happen.
PHOTOS: 20 Best and Worst Music to Movie Crossovers
"I mean I really wanted to work with Justin Timberlake on this project," says Drake, "and we came so close man, so close. He's just super busy, and not in the music mindset right now as far as creating."
Indeed, aside from promoting the rap-rock group FreeSol on his Tennman Records label, Timberlake has used 2011 to focus on acting opportunities, including starring roles in In Time and Bad Teacher. But Drake believes that, once Timberlake does return to the studio, a collaboration will happen, and that producer Noah "40" Shebib would add an interesting layer to the pop star's sound.
"The song was gonna be dope," says Drake. "It was solid - a solid little look. But he's so immersed in the acting thing, and I don't blame him, he's doing great at it. He was just like, 'I really want to work, I just can't do it right now. But we'll work as soon as I'm back in the studio.'
"So he gave me his word on that, so I'm looking forward to looking with him," Drake continues. "Even just giving him some ideas, writing, him working with [producer Noah "40" Shebib], I think that would just sound crazy, Justin Timberlake and 40. Half the time, I just want artists to work on 40's beats, I don't even really want to intrude. I just want to hear them. 40 has so many ideas, and I'd love to hear an artist like Justin Timberlake to see what he and 40 could come up with, but that was the one person that I was sorta like, 'Damn!' But we'll get it though."
Click here to check out Billboard's full Q&A with Drake, in which the rapper talks about his relationship with Lil Wayne, the leaks and everything else Take Care.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!