Kabel Deutschland Places $506 Million Financing for Tele Columbus Acquisition
With the addition of the smaller cable company, KDG will expand its reach to more than 10 million customers.
COLOGNE, Germany - Kabel Deutschland (KDG) Germany’s largest cable operator, has successful placed $506 million (€400 million) in financing for its planned acquisition of smaller competitor Tele Columbus. KDG placed €400 million in senior notes at a 6.5 percent coupon, due in 2017. The cash – $125 million more than KDG had initially expected to raise – will go towards the $760 million (€600 million) acquisition of struggling German cable group Tele Columbus.
The acquisition, which still has to pass muster with German authorities, would add Tele Columbus’ 1.7 million cable customers to KDG’s network, expanding KDG’s reach to more than 10 million households across Germany.
While operators in the U.S. have been hit by “cable cutters”: customers opting to cancel their cable services and switch to online operators, Germany remains a strong growth market. KDG posted a net profit of $201 million (€159 million) last year with revenues up 6.3 percent at $2.1 billion (€1.7 billion). KDG and other German cable operators have been particularly successful at getting customers to upgrade to so-called triple play offerings, where they receive telephone, Internet and TV services from the one cable company.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!