Kaleidoscope Inks U.K. Deal for Egyptian Oscar Contender
Documentary "The Square" looks at unrest in Tahrir Square during the Egyptian revolution in 2011.
LONDON -- Kaleidoscope Entertainment has inked a deal for U.K. distribution rights to The Square, the Oscar shortlisted and multi-award-winning documentary.
The documentary, directed by Jehane Noujaim (Control Room), looks at the protests in Tahrir Square amid the political upheaval that has been ongoing in Egypt over the past two years.
Already a winner at Toronto, Sundance, and The Hamptons Film Festivals, The Square was recently shortlisted for best documentary at the Oscars.
It will be released theatrically in the U.K. on Jan. 9 to coincide with the third anniversary of 2011's Egyptian Revolution, which takes place later in the month.
A digital rollout is scheduled for July 17, followed by its home entertainment launch on July 21.
Kaleidoscope CEO Spencer Pollard said: "We are very excited to be releasing this film in the U.K., and it shows our continued commitment to supporting the best documentaries in our territory."
The Square producer Karim Amer added: "We see the deep value that Kaleidoscope places in this story of a very alive moment in world history and are thrilled they understand the power of this film to move, disrupt and inspire audiences in the U.K."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'