Kaleidoscope Inks U.K. Deal for Egyptian Oscar Contender
Documentary "The Square" looks at unrest in Tahrir Square during the Egyptian revolution in 2011.
LONDON -- Kaleidoscope Entertainment has inked a deal for U.K. distribution rights to The Square, the Oscar shortlisted and multi-award-winning documentary.
The documentary, directed by Jehane Noujaim (Control Room), looks at the protests in Tahrir Square amid the political upheaval that has been ongoing in Egypt over the past two years.
Already a winner at Toronto, Sundance, and The Hamptons Film Festivals, The Square was recently shortlisted for best documentary at the Oscars.
It will be released theatrically in the U.K. on Jan. 9 to coincide with the third anniversary of 2011's Egyptian Revolution, which takes place later in the month.
A digital rollout is scheduled for July 17, followed by its home entertainment launch on July 21.
Kaleidoscope CEO Spencer Pollard said: "We are very excited to be releasing this film in the U.K., and it shows our continued commitment to supporting the best documentaries in our territory."
The Square producer Karim Amer added: "We see the deep value that Kaleidoscope places in this story of a very alive moment in world history and are thrilled they understand the power of this film to move, disrupt and inspire audiences in the U.K."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack