Kanye West Gives Lecture at Harvard School of Design
"I really do believe that the world can be saved through design," the rapper told a group of students Sunday ahead of his Boston show later that night.
Kanye West gave an inspiring speech to the Harvard School of Design on Sunday before performing in Boston later that night.
The rapper spoke to the crowd about how important he thinks design is, according to a video posted on Facebook.
"I really do believe that the world can be saved through design," he said.
West went on to talk about how he's done two-hour interviews with people like Oprah Winfrey specifically about the creative process.
"The reason why I turn up so much in interviews is because I've tasted what it means to create and to be able to impact and affect in a positive way, and I know there is more creativity to happen," he said. "I know there are traditionalists that hold back the good thoughts and there are people that, offices that stop the creative people and are intimidated by actual good ideas. And I believe, like, utopia is actually possible. But we're led by the least noble, the least dignified, the least tasteful, the dumbest and the most political. In no way am I a politician; I'm usually at my best politically incorrect and very direct. I really appreciate you guys' willingness to hone your craft and not be lazy."
He also offered free tickets to the crowd and made a joke about how he was "self-conscious" for those in the room -- apparently architecture students -- to see his stage because it "does have flaws in it."
"It's an expression of emotion, so give me a pass on that," he quipped amid laughs from the crowd.
The speech was part of West's DONDA Design Lecture Series, according to Virgil Abloh, the creative director of the rapper's creative design company, DONDA, which is named after his late mother.
"Just gave a talk at Harvard GSD with Kanye. Super surreal. #DONDA design lecture series #yeezustour," Abloh posted on Instagram.
West's fiancee, Kim Kardashian, also was on hand and posted an Instagram photo with the caption: "My baby speaking at the Harvard Graduate School of Design."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)