Kate Gosselin Defends 'Slanted Eyes' Photo: 'I Married an Asian'
“I’m the last person that could be called racist,” says the 38-year-old mother of eight.
Kate Gosselin is firing back at critics who say a recently unearthed photo, in which the former reality star is seen wearing a black wig and slanting her eyes, is racist.
“I married an Asian. I have eight biracial children,” the former reality star writes on her blog. “I’m quite certain that I’m the last person that could be called racist.”
Gosselin recalls the moment that the photo in question was taken, saying that she and her then-husband Jon were taking turns wearing a “plastic Asian dress up wig” that had been sent to them by a fan.
“Naturally, I ‘slanted’ my eyes to show him my best Asian impression, which made him smile,” she writes.
“A common topic of our show was ‘everybody’s Asian' – except mommy, so a thoughtful fan figured she’d help me look Asian too,” Gosselin continues. “It’s normal to talk about and even ‘exaggerate’ the feature differences between family members of a biracial family as they are noticed by curious growing children within the family.
“These types of discoveries and at home discussions are a normal part of being a loving an accepting biracial family and it does not make any of us prejudice,”she adds.
Gosselin describes the private moment as “a happy time for me and Jon,” who have since divorced. The couple together has eight children and were featured on TLC’s Jon & Kate Plus 8 (late renamed Kate Plus 8) for several seasons.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack