• The Hollywood Reporter on LinkedIn
  • Follow THR on Pinterest

Latest Kate Middleton Semi-Nude Photos Spark Another Media Frenzy

Kate Middleton Diamond Jubilee Tour of the Far East - P 2012
Mark Large/Getty Images

Grainy pictures of the Duchess appearing to wear only a bikini top hit the Internet over the weekend, said to be published by a Danish magazine, which has denied the reports.

Yet another media frenzy has ignited over pictures of a semi-nude Kate Middleton.

On the heels of the Duchess of Cambridge's topless-photo scandal, a Danish tabloid on Friday was reported to have published pictures of Middleton wearing only a bikini top.

PHOTOS: Naked Ambition: From Adam Levine to Miley Cyrus, Hollywood's Most Daring Magazine Nudity

But on Saturday, Se Og Hor editor-in-chief Kim Henningsen told CNN that the magazine had published a 16-page spread Sept. 20 featuring pictures of the royal, but that those were actually the same topless photos pictures earlier this month in the French magazine Closer.

But the situation became more unclear when grainy photos were published on the Internet in a magazine spread -- in which Middleton seemingly appears both topless and bottomless -- that various reports attributed to Se Og Hor. However, it's unclear where the photos actually originated.

Closer has been fined by a French court over its publication of the topless photos. The court also granted an injunction that would prevent further publication of topless photos of Middleton taken during a vacation.

The court also ruled that the magazine must hand over the photos within 24 hours and decided to open a criminal investigation into charges that the photographer and Closer breached the privacy of Prince William and wife Middleton by publishing the pictures.

PHOTOS: Kate Middleton's Top 10 Looks

Irish tabloid Irish Daily Start and Italian gossip magazine Chi also published the topless photos, but no British newspapers have followed suit.

The Duke and Duchess also have filed a criminal complaint against Closer and is pursuing a civil lawsuit.

As for any recourse against the Danish publication Se Og Hor, a St. James's Palace spokeswoman told CNN: "We will not be commenting on potential legal action concerning the alleged intended publication of the photos save to say that all proportionate responses will be kept under review."

Defending its publication of the Middleton photos, Henningsen told CNN: "It's a set of unique photos from an A-class celebrity. We are a leading gossip magazine in Denmark, and it is my job to publish them. ... If the British royal family want to sue us, then it will happen then and we'll deal with it."