Kate Winslet Flees From Blaze On Richard Branson's Private Caribbean Island
Branson tells media all 20 people staying at the luxury retreat hit by a lightning strike "managed to get out and are all fine."
LONDON - Kate Winslet and her family were among twenty people who were forced to flee when a fire broke out at Richard Branson's luxury island retreat, Necker Island, the tycoon said Monday.
In comments released to the media here, the founder of the Virgin brand said Winslet, her children and his wife, son and daughter were among those who had escaped the blaze.
"Around 20 people were in the house and they all managed to get out and they are all fine," Branson said in comments released to the British media.
"We had a really bad tropical storm with winds up to 90 miles per
hour. A big lightning storm came around 4 a.m. and hit the house.
Branson said his son Sam had rushed to the main residence that was most affected to try and get people out, but disclosed that the building had been mostly destroyed, including a collection of photographs.
"The main house is completely destroyed and the fire is not yet completely out. My office was based in the house and I have lost thousands of photographs which is very sad."
"My son Sam rushed to the house and helped get everyone out. Kate Winslet, her boyfriend and her family were there and Holly and some of her friends were also staying. My mother was there and they managed to get her out and she is fine."
Branson bought the luxury spot in the British Virgin Islands in the early eighties and said that he would rebuild the home as soon as possible.
"It's very much the Dunkirk spirit here," he added.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!