Katherine Jackson Says Communication Was Restricted While in Arizona
In court documents recently filed, the Jackson family matriarch indicates that she was tricked into traveling to Tuscon earlier this month.
While Katherine Jackson has been reinstated as co-guardian of Michael Jackson’s three children, the Jackson family drama is far from over.
According to court documents filed to obtain guardianship of Prince, Paris and Blanket, Katherine Jackson says that she was kept from communicating with the outside world during her brief stay in Arizona, during which she was reported missing.
In a statement submitted Thursday, the 82-year-old said that her phone was “taken away” and that she was never informed that Michael Jackson’s three children were trying to reach her. She also said that she had planned a road trip to New Mexico to see her sons in concert, but on July 14, an unnamed doctor told her that she should take a plane instead. After exiting the aircraft, Katherine Jackson was surprised to find out that she had been transported to Tuscon, where she would be staying at a luxury resort. “At the time, I trusted the people I was with to be honest with me,” Katherine Jackson said in the documents.
“Her children took her to a spa… because she had high blood pressure,” said her lawyer.
Katherine Jackson also stated that her phone had been taken away, along with her iPad, and “while there was a telephone in my room, the telephone was not functioning and I could not dial out. In addition, there was no picture on the television in my room.”
“One morning I woke up to the sound of the television,” she added, after having requested that it be fixed. “While there was no picture, I heard a broadcast that stated I was missing.” While at the resort, Jackson said that she had no idea her grandchildren were worried about her.
“While I was away, I had no reason to question whether the people with whom I placed trust would inform me that Prince, Paris and Blanket were trying to reach me,” she said, adding that she asked about the children and was told that they were “fine.”
The documents appear to paint a slightly different story than the one she told on ABC News last week, when she read a prepared statement with children Randy Jackson, Janet Jackson and Rebbie Jackson beside her. “My children would never do a thing to me like that, holding me against my will,” she said. “It’s very stupid for people to think that.”
Michael Jackson’s eldest son, Prince Michael, 15, broke his silence on Twitter shortly after Katherine Jackson’s statements.
“As long as I can remember, my dad had repeatedly warned me of certain people and their ways,” he wrote. “Although I am happy my grandma was returned, after speaking with her I realized how misguided and how badly she was lied to. I’m really angry and hurt.”
In the aftermath of all the chaos, a judge ruled on Thursday that Katherine Jackson had done a “wonderful job” raising the children and that they are “in terrific hands.” Katherine Jackson now shares legal custody of the trio along with their 34-year-old cousin, her grandson, T.J. Jackson, who had filled in temporarily in her absence.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR